Monday, September 25, 2006

Live by the union, die by the union

So my buddy and I are walking to our cars after work this morning (Monday) and he explains what he was trying to tell me at the time clock.

Seems the union has filed a grevence against our room (RIM). According to my buddy, the union president wants to break our 12 hour days down to 8 hour days and combine our 4 cres into 3 shifts (1st, 2nd, 3rd) which would most likely mean that upwards of 24 people and a supervisor would have to go. Further, the union wants to remove out 'slilled laborer' tags and make the room a general labor area. What that means is a loss of like $3 an hour and that anyone with more years of experience could boot us out of our jobs and take our jobs if lay-off's happen in other parts of the factory. Currently they can't do this because of our 'skilled labor' tags.

Apparently, and hopefully, this won't happen. But as a still fairly new employee (9 months on the job) here's what I see all this as. The long time employees there fucked up. Our room (RIM) is probably the only secure job at Top Flite for the next couple of years. Some jobs will be moving to China and some things already have. The writing's been on the wall for awhile now. The RIM room has been in existence for just about 2 years now. Many of the employees at Top Flite wanted nothing to do with the new room (RIM) so the company hired a bunch of people off the street - including me. Now, with their jobs in seemingly jeopardy, people in the union are trying to reduce all the special tags of our room so that the long time employees that are otherwise not qualified for the room can come in and take the jobs of the new people.

I've already lost two good paying jobs to either other Americans or lay-off's. It sucks. But I'll be pissed if a bunch of people that couldn't read the obvious handwriting on the wall now want to retro fit things so that they can take my job away after they initially wanted nothing to do with it.

I can't say I love my job, but it pays well and I sure as hell don't want to lose it. I'm not going to get to upset about this situation but it is in the back of my mind and really sucks.

Meh! To bed I go because I have another 12 hour shift in 10 and 1/2 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home