Monday, August 14, 2006

Various tidbits

Don't think I ever mentioned it but I got my double time for this past Sunday and 15 minutes on Monday ended up being 4 hours of pay. :) I see why governments hate unions. Turns out my computer punches on Monday showed up like a day or two later. No idea why. See we that showed for Monday were told everything was set so that we get 4 hours pay for onday and double on Sunday. I will scower my next paycheck to make sure because I'm budgetting towards I expect my takehome pay should roughly be. If there's mistake I'll be fine money on hand-wise but I'll be highly annoyed.

Two more guys were fired at work. One I liked because he was a fun guy and the other I could take or leave. Both played the hide and seek smokers game. The facility is a smoke free facility and everyone is told being fired can result from getting caught smoking. So these two and others run off during various parts of the night (usually during breaks) to find a place to smoke. The 2 guys that were fired and a third were essentially caught smoking. I think Adam was caught stomping out his smoke and Jon and Ryan just happened to be there. But all wee going to smoke because they were really far away from our area and had no reason to be where they were. Ryan's union and extremely valueable to the company. He got a warning. Jon had been fired before and had quit before too. He's an employee but not yet union again. He was fired the next day. He was the fun guy I'll miss. Adam was still a temp but had just taken his drug and physical and was maybe two weeks from being hired which meant a pay hike of $6 an hour. He was also fired the next day. I didn't mind Adam, but he was too quick for my tastes to find the shortcuts at work like finding the smoking areas and hitting rate really earlier to run off and do whatever. I won't miss him. He also had been caught screwing off a few times and was caught sleeping by our supervisor who had cut him a break by not firing him then.

I'm not sure who exactly fired them. But after the initial incident of getting caught, all three blamed the supervisor that specifically walks around looking for smokers. I didn't say anything but my feelings on the subject are that if they were playing the cat and mouse game and got caught then just own up to it. Everybody knows that getting caught smoking can get you fired. And it did them. In my opinion, they really blew it. Each just lost around a $40,000 a year job because of smoking.

Nothing great for new dreams.

My fantasy baseball team is getting kinda hot. I've won back to back weeks with 7 victories and 3 loses. A few injured guys are playing in the real major leagues and it's really helping my team out.

I got kind of mad from a news article from the New York Times reprinted in my local paper. It was about muslims that live in England that hate England. The way the article read, it was like these particular muslims hate the way of life in England even though they themselves lived that way (sort of drugs, sex and rock and roll). That's the way I understood it. Reminds me of the 9/11 bombers. They said America sucks and needs to be destroyed yet they took time to get a hooker before bombing us. All I can think of is that these particular muslims chose to live in England because their quality of life would be lower - probably a lot lower - in their home countries. And the article mentioned that these are 2nd and third generation muslims living in England that had these feelings.

I also got pissed at another thing in the paper somewhat related to the above. It was saying how muslims in America were protesting freedom of speech. They were protesting the cartoons from last year critizing the muslim faith. They have a right to be pissed over the cartoons but I think it's stupid to protest freedom of speech while exercising that right at the same time. I don't hate muslims but I hate hypocrites.

Okay, I need to head off to bed for my last of three back to back to back work nights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home