Saturday, August 05, 2006

Too nice to say "no".

Yep, I should've known. I told my neighbor it would be okay if the mulch guys could use my driveway. And it was a disaster. I may have been woefully ignorant and didn't protect my own interests enough but I will in the future. What I mistakenly thought would be a truck load or two with one guy turned out to be a 5 hour ordeal with 3 to 5 dudes making a helluva racket. The truck made four trips in and out of my driveway. I had to listen to dudes blabbing, back up beepers going and from what my brother said, pick axes used banging away on the truck bed for some reason. At last I finally got up after little to no sleep and was ready to blast the shit out of my neighbor but the guys were done. I felt he handed me a line of bullshit about the whole thing. Said they would be quiet and not the usual noise with usual contractors. That old fuck. I told him I needed to sleep and that they would be right outside my window before they ever arrived. So in the end, I was highly irritable and tired at work after having gotten a whopping 3 to 3 and 1/2 hours of sleep between back to back 12 hour shifts.

And of course, work started out hectic. With a couple of people short, I had to run two areas and four machines. This meant loading them all up, testing 2 water tanks, checking sizes and then finding one machine was woefully out of spec. Joy. I had to enlist help. So Lester helps me out. How do I repay the old man (he's ready to retire)? I knock over his tool box. I'm not talking your standard carry around toolbox, I'm talking the kind that's on wheels and has 6 drawers and is full of tools and parts and weighs like 200+ pounds.

How did I manage this stroke of genius? I was a little bit like a headless chicken running around trying to get everything set and running correctly. I loaded a barrell onto the barrell tipper and proceeded to make it tilt and dump the otherwise several hundred pound barrell. The machine started struggling and in a brain dead moment, I didn't notice that the barrell tipper had hooked under the handle of Lester's toolbox. I caught it in time to stop the tilter so that the toolbox was lifted partially into the air and on two wheels out of four. So I figured if I just reversed the machine's direction it would lower the toolbox back to normal and all would be well. Yep, that didn't happen. When the tilter lowered back down I guess the weight of the toolbox had gravitated to one side so that the toolbox fell over onto it's side. As I sat there going 'you got to be fucking kidding me' people started looking to see what the mighty crash was. And then Lester came in from the breakroom seeing his toolbox on the floor. He came over with shaking his head with an 'you idiot' look on his face that I couldn't blame him for. Tools and parts had spilled out of open drawers but it wasn't that bad considering all things. So in addition to running four machines (which isn't that tough when they are all set up) I helped Lester pick up. Sigh.

For my 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep before work I had three dreams that I could recall at the time. They were all neat and I tried to remember them but I can only recall one. I was eating dinner with the Soprano family from HBO's tv series, the Sopranos. Main character Tony was absent but Furio was there. I remember us all eating essentially flavored whipped cream for dessert. It was cherry flavored and was awesome tasting. I ate a whole plate of it which was about the size of a common pie.

On the 'not surprising front', it seems my young 6 year old nephew has anger related issues. My brother had to have a session with the boy's therapist and she was concerned by it. It's something along the lines of him keeping his rage pent-up until he gets into fights at school/day care. He then lashes out kicking and scratching and being really violent. My brother has been concerned by this. Me too. And I have never really seen my nephew be violent when he is with my brother - his father. The therapist has determined that my brother's ex blames it all on excuses like 'it's the drugs he's on (hyper-active stuff)', this and that, basically totally denying that my nephew has any anger issues. So I guess the therapist is going to sit her down and outright tell her point blank that my nephew has a problem with anger. My brother things it's because his older sister beats on him. She's 6 years older and bigger than him. We also believe she is left to mother him a lot while his real mom does who knows what. And when my nephew tried to talk to his mom over the phone about this she reduced him to tears, told him it was his fault and then hung up on him. She's a real piece of shit of a human being.

That's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home