Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates and anime

Saw the new Pirates of the Carribeanne (sic) today. I enjoyed it overall. The first one was funnier but this one seemed more about adventure. It's also a 'middle' movie of a triology so it has the tough task of being a full story on its own while trying to tell part of a bigger story. I thought it was well worth the money I paid to see it. But it's loooong. The good thing is, I didn't notice how long until I checked the time in my car. That's a good sign when a movie is long and you don't notice it. Pretty sure it's 2:30+ minutes long. My biggest complaint about the movie was that I had a hard time understanding what the actors were saying. They seemed to be really playin up pirate talk so I was kinda lost for the first part of the movie.

Went to ConnectiCon on Saturday. This was, of course, after working Friday 7pm to Saturday 7am. So I was kinda concerned about how well I'd feel. Connecticon is a anime con that had some Dungeons and Dragons there. That's what I went to do because I have no interest in anime. The place seemed to have a pretty good attendance and I think 70% or more were in costumes. So it was defiantely a fun visual experience. I was concerned about the gaming though. The registration I used had only 8 players there which is a puny amount. I was worried the games wouldn't happen. There was enough for 2 tables in the morning slot and then it wasn't a worry because lots of people showed up for the other games.

The D&D games were decent. The first was a wee bit weak because the DM had a soft voice and I missed half the stuff he was saying. A couple of the players were really weird too. These guys seemed like the type that give D&D players a bad name.

The second game my table and I froze our asses off. The AC was really cold in there. I was wearing a t-shirt and jogging pants that are a little heavy and I was shivering. I even tucked/pulled my arms inside my shirt trying to build body heat. This got a laugh out of one guy but I noticed him and another guy do the same thing later on. Apparently we were all freezing!

My D&D friend tried to get me to go down on Sunday instead and I'm glad I didn't. He played one game and then left because he had played everything else that was playing the second and final Sunday gaming slot.

I saw the church fanatic former comic store owner down there. In fact, he nearly walked right into me. And he didn't notice who I was. Meh. I'm always a little leary around him.

I saw on kid that really struck me. This was a teenaged girl. She was sorta dressed in almost a suit or something with a white shirt. Kinda reminded me of someone at a funeral or something. She had her hair black and in a paige boy kinda cut. Heavy black make-up and either fangs or braces, I couldn't tell. And I think she was wearing those godawful gothic platform shoes.

Anyways, I don't know what she was doing but she was walking around very Golem like. She was either leading her friends around or they were following her around like she was a dog leading them. It was just such a bizarre image. A skinny kid with a crazy smile skulking around with a guy and a girl following her like she was a guide or something. They may have been some sort of anime character but I have no idea because I don't watch the stuff.

So overall, despite the $35 entry fee and $16 for all day parking, it was worth it because I got in to play three games like I had planned.

I'm on company shut-down time. Bacially, I'm not working for around 10 days straight but I also have no money coming either. I planned appropriately so I should be fine. I then go back to work for 2 days and then have 3 days off because of the way our crazy schedules work. So I'm spending the time trying to get the bulk of my Necropolis Chronicles Companion issue done. I inked up three character sketches today and pieced together some scanned images so that they are ready for use.

On the bad news front, my brother-in-law needs emergency surgery. He's got degenerative disks in his spines and will need mulitple operations. I don't trust my sister's driving so I volunteered my services to drive them to the hospital for this Thursday for the first operation. But he has to be there for 6am. Ugh! My mom plans to go to keep my sister company during the whole time. I'll be a snot most likely and return home to sleep.

Oh yeah, my trouble making niece got pulled over by the cops. Seems the 12 year old was driving a golf cart down the road and someone turned her in. Actually, I'm kinda amused by the whole situation. I'm going to guess she was pretty scared during the whole incident. At least she was polite to the police I'm told.

Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home