Thursday, May 29, 2008

Unexpected lay-off's

Blog 052908

Sigh, more lay-off’s at work.

Seems Callaway is closing their New York plant and moving it’s production to China. Yea! China, land of 100 cities of 1 million or more people. Land of no unions, questionable health care and whatever other issues that the unions here and America at least partially solved. And land of cheap labor. So 130+ jobs from New York are gone and not being replaced.

I didn’t realize it but we ship 30,000 dozen golf balls a day to New York. Now we won’t have to. That means probably half of third shift at our plant is getting laid off. Oy. I think there are enough people under me in seniority that I won’t lose my employment but I could very well lose my current job. I could get bumped and forced to bump into a area or old one and possibly even another shift. It also means that since these jobs are probably eliminated permanently that anyone laid off is gone for good. So bumping to stay employed will most likely happen by those losing their jobs. So all our temps about to be hired are in serious jeopardy. Some are good and some suck but they are probably all gone. The union usually makes sure that there are no temps if union workers are laid off. And since New York closes entirely July 31, our lay-off’ could happen quite quicky since we are the supply chain to New York.

On Monday I went back to my parents for the holiday. In checking out my car knowing I had to repair some rust I was utterly sucked to see the amount of damage to my car. It’s only 9 years old but I can fit my whole hand literally into my car and feel around. I knew I had some rust but didn’t realize the extent of the damage. So now I have to slap on some sheet metal to cover the holes to pass inspection. Mainly the holes are on the underside of my car where the rear quarter panels wrap underneath the car. My jury-rigging won’t cost much, maybe $20 and should work but my car will look ugly and like a beater instead of a common car.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

I pass the drunkeness onto you, if you like so you forget about layoffs... Vodka does a body good.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home