Wednesday, April 09, 2008

ConnCon part 2

Blog 040908

ConnCon part 2

The first game of ConnCon my friends and I played was written by a fellow I usually don’t get along with. Further, he ended up being our DM. I’m very happy to say things went fine and I had a good time. This was terrific news as it was a game slotted for 8 hours and took about that much time. Although my character didn’t do a whole lot the team did well overall. At the end we were faced with a situation by our DM. We could face a really tough challenge or walk away. With the national campaign ending this year I was fine with facing this challenge knowing my character could be eliminated from the campaign as a possibility. We got our asses kicked. LOL! Three of us were turned to stone and we were forced to flee to a different dimension to escape leaving one of our party behind! He was killed. That was my friend’s character. The worst part is, he never really wanted to engage in the big fight and voiced opposition to it but was over-ruled by majority. Those of us turned to stone were later turned back to flesh with no ill effects.

I had another 8 hour game and that one ended up totally sucking out. The DM read the scenario as we played it so we sat around waiting with 30 second long pauses or more between questions as he read. Three of us actually fell asleep at the table including me! The game was THAT boring. It didn’t help that I couldn’t get into story of that game either.

I played an intro to D&D 4th edition and liked it. The new rules seem to try and slim down the game. D&D is hugely detailed and rule books often conflict with one another constantly. Often new rule books make even the previous year’s book obsolete or throw the balance of the game way off by introducing new elements that throw the game out of whack. I’m sure 4th edition due out in a few months will eventually suffer this same problem but I liked over all what I saw. Probably the only thing I didn’t like about 4th ed was that it seems very easy to be hit as a melee fighter. I played a melee fighter and seemed to be hit again and again at first level like it was nothing. Still, I’m highly excited by a return of my favorite fantasy campaign setting as a background to the new national campaign due out later this year.

I didn’t want to play in it but I sucked into the ‘interactive’. D&D interactives are usually about a ton of people playing in one large room wandering around talking to one another. Then you get a group and sit down and play a small thing. I tend to find them extremely boring and often highly dangerous to character with little pay-off. The big deal about interactives is that they usually have a direct effect on the campaign where gaming scenarios don’t. This was yet another 8 hour game. Three in one weekend, ouch. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but it was tough. Pretty much only myself and another guy had a clue as to what was happening out of 6 people though. In the first round – a four hour block of gaming – we were branded traitors. Not good. We all knew it was to be resolved in the second round the next morning. Well, my table of players fell apart and I had to play a totally different character! So now my poor little diseased rogue, very much like Xena, is a traitor to the land and cannot clear her name because she missed the second round. I did kick ass in the second round with my nasty wizard though.

The last game of the gaming con was fun at first until my food poisoning kicked in and I was more worried about shitting than playing. But it started off being the most fun of the weekend. We had a gay judge which was fine be I felt there was a moment of awkwardness. My high level wizard is kind of a jerk in character. My friend and I banter back and forth and in character my wizard was more interested in getting ‘some’ from a female NPC as a reward for rescuing her. My buddy started in on how my male character likes little boys,… in front of a real life gay person. I tried to shut that down as soon as possible but my friend didn’t get it and kept it up. The whole situation only lasted about a minute or two but it felt like a lifetime. The gay guy is fairly cool and I hope he wasn’t insulted by my friend’s kind of jerk reactions at attempting to be funny.

Towards the end of the game my mind was more about crapping than playing. Still, my character kicked the shit out of the bad guys almost eliminating them before anyone could get near them. As soon as the game ended I started looking around for an unused room. We pretty much had the whole floor for gaming. However, with renovations happening the hotel wanted us out as soon as possible. Hotel people were emptying chairs and tables out of rooms while contractors were starting to remove light fixtures and whatnots. In fact, construction was happening all weekend and at times it was very disruptive as it was louder than people’s voices.

First, I couldn’t find any toilet paper. I found a roll and tucked it under my arm like a football. Almost every one had a game or a contractor in it. I finally found a quiet room and closed the door to the bathroom. I lifted the toilet cover to find a plugged toilet with a mass of brown stained toilet paper like a man-made island in the bowl. With a horrid expression I reclosed the top and began a new search for another bathroom. I finally situated myself in a room where a hotel guy was removing furniture. I ran the water as I shat to let him know not to try and enter the bathroom. Things went quick because it was the beginnings of diarrhea. Joy. Still, there was no way to I was going to be able to hold things in on the ride home so I was glad I cleared the bowels when I did.

I felt bad for my friend. He had a good weekend despite his character dying, playing at a shit table and his same character being deemed hated in the realm by a shit judge and something else detrimental happened to that I’ve forgotten. He also won a table which meant he may have won a small prize. These prizes are usually a small coupon to get a cheap item from the dealer’s room. But the dealer’s room REALLY sucked this year. There were like 4 dealers and I think two had already packed up and went home by the end of the con. So he wanted to stay to see if he won anything but I was able to win by leaving almost immediately for home. I felt like shit on the ride home. It actually went fairly quickly because I felt asleep for about 40 minutes. My friends noticed I was really quiet before that as I concentrated on keeping the contents of my stomach down.

We got back to their place to find out the orange juice in my bag had leaked out into my buddy’s trunk. Luckily it was only small amount along the side of the trunk. I think we were both at fault. I was whipping the bag around as I carried it and I think my buddy crammed the bag into his trunk making the juice container not stand upright. I later found my bag filled with the remaining orange juice. Yuck.

I drove home after leaving my buddy’s almost immediately and stopped to get some ginger ale for my stomach. I took a long hot shower just to help my aching muscles and laid on the couch for awhile before going to bed.

The next day I woke to a fart. A really wet fart. A check confirmed my worst fears. That underwear was quickly discarded into the trash and a lengthy shower ensued. For the rest of the day it was running to the bathroom shitting out explosive amounts of diarrhea. It wasn’t fun. And I should’ve apologized to my toilet. It didn’t end until I relieved my stomach of everything I had eaten that weekend. I think the pizza from Friday night was the main culprit. I didn’t really like it and it seemed heavy with grease. It was bad enough to make me call out from work that night and I had stomach pain until Wednesday. I also didn’t eat anything solid for two whole days finally eating a Mystic Pizza just before work on Wednesday night. Oy.

I forgot to mention I bought 6 boxes of Girl Scout cookies at the con. There’s this girl there every year making a killing. For the first time in 6 years of doing this, the hotel complained and shut her down. The young kid, maybe 11 years old, was smart though and defiant. She went around with pen and paper and took orders returning to fulfill the orders and collect money. I bought too many cookies though and sent two boxes to my mom and gave another to friends at work. I’m keeping two boxes of Thin Mints for me and another box – Trifoils or something – short bread ones for me.

Gotta go to work now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home