Monday, March 10, 2008

Time Warp and money embarrassments

Blog 030908

Had some trouble sleeping this weekend. Saturdays are tough for me and I think I’ll have to change my routine for them. Currently I get home about 7:30am, stay up until 10:30 or 11am, sleep until 4 or 5pm and then do whatever until around midnight and go back to bed. I usually try and sleep 8 hours Saturday night to Sunday. But the past two weekends have left me feeling pretty tired and I haven’t done that much during them. Worse, because I start doing these sort of long naps of 4 or 5 hours I tend to wake up after that even if I have the opportunity to sleep longer.

Sunday was a bit of a time warp. I changed all the clocks correctly in the house except for the ones in my bedroom. Those I changed back instead of forward. So I woke up at 4am which was really probably about 6am. I said ‘hell no’, and wrestled with trying to get back to sleep. I eventually did but my nephew and brother got up so the thudding bass of video games and the constant yammering of my nephew to the computer screen forced me up. The clock in the kitchen read 10:30am while my bedroom clock read 8:30am. Whoops! So I’m not really sure how much sleep I actually got Saturday night. I did sleep for an hour later before heading out to D&D because I felt drained regardless of how much sleep I had.

D&D was fun if for no other reason than I hadn’t played since September of last year. That’s almost 6 months of not playing. Ugh. Mostly that was due to me working 6 or 7 days a week for the past 4 months. Our DM was a little late so we played some cribbage. I came in last. I hadn’t played that game for a few months either. It also didn’t help that I couldn’t add. When I first get up I’m either really pumped or like a zombie. Usually I’m like a grumpy zombie and I was after the hour nap. I couldn’t even do simple math. Yikes. I missed a lot of points but my friends were cool and pointed them out to me. I was okay once I fully woke up.

I got to play my deep Halfling at the gaming session. Browyn is my favorite character for role-playing. She’s a former slave to evil humans and tends to resent the vast majority of humans and their gods. She also swears like a sailor. She has a slight mean streak to her but otherwise is a decent person doing the right thing. She would make a terrific novel character because she has character. However, I slip up her classes so much that she’s really rather useless in the campaign we play in. The campaign leans towards power gaming. That means by the rules things are legal but tend to be stupid if thought out. An example is a creature we fought yesterday that was very tough. It was half crocodile half lizard man. Essentially it was a reptilian centaur. It was also a character class mixture of barbarian and monk. Now this is REALLY stupid considering we were out in some deep and thick swamp and there were multiples of this same creature. Someone had to train these things in a monastery which they then ditched to live like Conan the Barbarian. Like I said, all legal in game terms and it was done so that the creatures would be tough. They dropped one of our fighters in one round and dropped the other to half hitpoints and knocked him down prone in the same round.

Back to Brownie. I made her so have the weapon style of using a sword and a spiked shield. She would swing her sword and shield bash with her shield. Nifty visual but rather weak in combat. She is also a rogue with the ability to ‘sneak attack’ if the situation allows. So at my best, Brownie could dish out about 35 points of damage in one round. The dwarf fighter had upward of 5 attacks and dished out 90+ points of damage in the same amount of time. Huge difference. So unfortunately, in game, Brownie is actually a party liability. But like I said, she is my most fun LG character to role-play.

Felt like an ass the other day. My co-worker’s father passed away last week and he had to fly down to Porte Rico for the funeral. Another co-worker took up a collection for him. I had my grocery money. A ten and two twenties. So I give a ten because the guy’s really cool. I go grocery shopping really intent on my costs and I still went over. Gah. How embarrassing. I got snagged on Cheez-It’s that were buy one get one free and for whatever reason, my second one wasn’t free. I went over by $2.50. So I had to charge my groceries. Not a big deal but my balance had just gotten back to zero and I wasn’t sure how to charge my groceries. My grocery store doesn’t have people sign if you use their club card and the tally is under $50 so that threw me too. And I use to be a cashier a lot at Toys R Us. So it was really embarrassing. The only good thing was because it was so early in the morning I was the only person in line.

I’ll be registering to head down to the gaming con ConnCon at the end of the month. I hadn’t really planned on going because I was expecting to still be in my 6 days a week mandatory department but I successfully bid out. It’s nice having my weekends off. The whole weekend of Friday, Saturday and Sunday should be under $150 total. Unless you count the lost of Friday’s wages from work. Then it shoots up to like $290. I should be playing D&D all weekend and mostly with friends so it should be a good time.

I joined a designing contest on the comic book forum I hang out on. It’s the same one as last year and it’s called CBR’s Project Runway 2008. The administrator posts a challenge and you design a costume and post your creation by a certain day or you’re out. Once the time limit is done people have a few days to vote and possibly multiple participants can be voted out. Participants that miss the deadline are out of the contest. I think something like 15 people have posted entries for week one so far. Last year I was always at the bottom of voting but managed to last into the early middle rounds of the contest. I do it for fun. I can’t even remember what the prize package is. It’s something like a couple of comics worth maybe a total of $50. It’s really probably just comics the administrator has hanging around that he doesn’t want any more. But at least there’s a prize besides bragging rights.

The first contest was to design a super-hero based on yourself. It’s about the designing and not artwork so there are some very good artists and some weaker ones but good designers. I can of fall in the middle.

I’ve been working on some ideas for a Shadowdancer solo arc of comics. I have four main support characters to make about 12 issues of comics. Lots of drama and romance. I didn’t really come up with villains so far because I like to have my crew in order before writing stories. Shadowdancer’s support crew are two potential boyfriends, a confidant, and a mentor. The characters are fairly well thought out I like to think with motives and actions that hopefully fit them and do not seem forced.

I think I finally solved my tech problem with the artwork for issue three of The Necropolis Chronicles. So now I’m eyeing at getting all the tech stuff done so it can be printed finally. And the funding for printing will come from my tax returns that I haven’t budgeted yet.

Overall, other than some sleep issues, and when don’t I have those, things are pretty upbeat and rosey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home