Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Various things, mostly work related.

Blog 012908

Work, work, work. That’s pretty much been my life lately.

Things are changing at work as we go from groups of 4 people down to groups of three. Tonight we got our first semi-official taste of it. My group is decent although the woman in the group has gotten into verbal fights with a couple of other co-workers. But we’ve gotten along fine since we both came from the same area, Custom department, before entering Dual Core. There have also been a number of changes as the company tries to institute a standardize work for the area since it’s still real new. It’s also been a pain with some stress because if the previous shift doesn’t make enough stock the next shift has to play catch-up after standing around making the stock for themselves before they can completely make a golf ball to be transferred to another area.

Dual still rips the shit out of the tips of my fingers and I’m not alone. People walk out of there daily with blisters and shredded skin. It’s not uncommon to see three different layers of skin on my fingers.

A number of people want to bid out and return to the Custom Department. Their seniority kind of sucks so I don’t know if they’ll win the bids. Further, they are pretty much guaranteed to be laid off in the fall. It happens every year with Custom. Then those people have to bid on whatever jobs are available or risk not returning from lay-off for upwards of 6 months. And the people hoping to leave have some of the lowest seniority in the company. Even I have more seniority than most of them and I’m just hitting my two year mark in April.

I bid on a custom job because I like the job and the supervisor on the shift I bid on I probably my favorite boss in the place. I also don’t expect to win the bid. It was more of a lark.

I bought some really dark curtains this morning in hopes of keeping my room somewhat dark during the day. Anytime I wake up, despite a fully pulled down shade and some other implements to keep light out it’s bright as hell in my room. It could be contributing to my difficulty sleeping during the day.

I also bought another cactus today. Because I keep forgetting to water my plants cactuses are pretty much all I’ll buy. And my stupid cat actually ate part of one of the first two that I had purchased. It’s a really dumb cat.

My brother’s ex is at it again. Now she’s filed papers to move with the kids out of state. I guess she lost her job and is claiming she cannot find employment in our state. So she wants to move to Ohio, half the country away. And she’s apparently filed the papers on her own and is going without a lawyer. I hope my brother’s lawyer chews her up. Still, there is a chance my brother could lose and that would probably be the ending of seeing his kids except for like once a year. This could really backfire on my brother’s ex though should she win. As I understand it his child support would drop a ton load. And the ex is all about money, money, money. She has a new car but my nephew never has new clothes and he’s not in any kind of childcare either. So gee, I wonder where my brother’s child support goes…

I entered this contest held by a decently known comic book company about creating a super-heroine. The winner gets a three issue limited series. A number of people have sent in upwards of 5 or even 10 submissions. I sent in three. After reading a thread about the contest I don’t expect two submissions to go far. I’m taking a chance with the third submission as it involves my favorite homemade character. Depending on the legalities of the contest, I may have to share the character with the artist as far as creation and trademarking. This would kind of suck as I’ve drawn this character for years. But if it gets me into the biz…

I should know if I made the top ten on Feb 4th.

I’m finally getting to the point to where I can start rebuilding my bank account or save money for a trip to DragonCon Labor Day weekend. I’m leaning towards DragonCon first because I haven’t taken a trip anywhere in years. The real killer right now is heat, big surprise. It’s usually $250 a month right now. Not really that bad and lots less than other people but I’m a single income guy paying for a house and all the other bills tagged on to life. If I wasn’t working a lot of over-time I probably wouldn’t even be able to save any money at all this time of year. Or have any spending money either.

I’m feeling a bit guilty right now over not going to my friend’s brother’s funeral. I never met the brother but it would be more support for my friend. I hate funerals though. I hate corpses. I can still readily see the corpse of another buddy’s mother with just a quick thought. Yuck.

I had a couple of weird dreams lately including some really violent ones. One had me kicking this big, fat co-worker that I don’t care for in real life in the nuts. With him on his back grasping at his groin screaming in pain I then jumped on him and started pounding him on the face and head as hard as I could. Another dream had me trying to escape getting hurt during a PortaRican gang fight because I was the only white guy. This one guy I couldn’t shake but I got a gun from somewhere and ambushed from around a corner. I shot him in the head five times watching his head explode from point blank distance. I hope it’s just my head dealing with things heard and said during the day and that I’m not growing into some sort of homicidal maniac.

I missed the model railroad show and the Royal Rumble this past weekend to work. That really sucks. But I had taken the previous Sunday off and work is giving workers SuperBowl Sunday off except for volunteers for first shift. We are not forced to work Sundays because in MA you cannot work 7 days in a row unless it’s voluntary. I had wanted to take this past Sunday off for the Rumble but with the announcement of Super Bowl Sunday off I didn’t want to lose that much money because it would be three Sundays off in a row. I had planned to work Super Bowl Sunday because the game should be over before I would have had to leave for work.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some things like I’ve finished a couple of my novels from Christmas and whatnot but oh, well. I’ll just have to blog more often then.

Oh yeah, of course I’m rooting for the Patriots in this year’s Super Bowl. I love the Patriots and Tom Brady helped my own fantasy team to my league’s Super Bowl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home