Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dreams and my new job

Blog 110807

Had a strange dream this morning. I, and several of my co-workers, were in sort of a live action role-playing game type deal set in a Star Wars theme. The place seemed like a library or something. Nobody was in costume and the props were few and far between. I was running around with a Stormtrooper’s blaster. It seemed like one of the bigger guns in the game. I know we were shooting one another but I can’t recall if actual beams came out or if we just use to say, ‘I got you!’

I was kind of lagging behind with a few other stragglers as my team advanced from room to room. I ran towards the front and like Call of Duty 2, missed most of the action there to. I stepped into this one room where everyone was just standing there. They were all pretending to be frozen in time but for what reason I don’t know. I think someone had set off a paralyzing grenade or something. The room looked like an old western saloon too.

I moved over to three women and asked if they were rebels (my team) or Empire. Empire they responded. I stated to the room, ‘I kill them.’ They got up and left to move out of play. Others just sort of laughed. One guy was sitting at a table were some sort of poker game was going on. I had never seen the style of cards or money before on the table. The guy at the table had looked like he was about to or had just won an important hand in the game. A few feet from him standing up was another guy with a grenade held head high and primed. I got the impression that he lost the poker hand and was going to blow the room up or something. A couple of co-workers standing against the wall watching everything just had smiles on their faces as I was the only guy moving in the room. My co-worker Laura joked something like, ‘Let’s see if he can figure out what’s going on.’

I didn’t. I woke up.

Work took a new twist. I finally started training this past Monday. I went to bed and fell asleep before 10pm on Sunday night. I woke up around 2:30am feeling refreshed and energized. Damn it! I was able to get back to sleep and but every half hour or so until I got up at 5:40am for good.

We sat through a boring intro to the stuff we were suppose to be doing. After about 2 hours we went to the machines and started poking around and learning how to make product. We essentially put slugs of rubber on a plate and then have it crushed under extreme heat and pressure to make a core. It’s a lot like baking cookies. Once that’s done we put more rubber slugs around the molded core and subject it to heat and pressure again. That makes the inside of the golf ball and our part is done. The core is shipped off to another department that puts the outside skin on and then that gets painted and you have our new golf ball. They gave us two days of training and sent us to our regular shifts because the department is already behind by a number of days. Under most circumstances a worker is suppose to get a week’s training. I guess there was a heated argument between middle management or higher about how much training we should get because we are behind schedule. One guy fought for another day but the guy pressing for production won. So after two days of training we are in production.

So I must say my job is kind of boring even after only the third day but it pays decently and its job security. I worked first shift the first two days and now I’m on third. The company is adding two more people to each shift already and I was able to use that to get the okay to switch to third shift. I suspect I’ll be able to go to third this coming Monday since it’s the middle of the week as I write.

I checked in on my old boss because I had heard he had suffered a leg injury and he missed the last two days I was there. After going to the doctor’s he found out he had a blood clot. He’s been to the doctor’s every day since as they give him medicine and keep an eye on it. He missed Monday but was back to work last night. It’s still slow as hell over there while at times I have to run my ass off at the new area. I did tell my boss I would be staying at the new job though.

We have to work six days a week mandatory and the estimate for that was at least until March of 2008. Another guy said June. Oy. At least I’ll have plenty of money during a tough time of the year, Christmas and winter. The money should also allow me to buy some things I would like to have. I want a big screen tv, some furniture for the house, and money to keep making comics. I won’t be rich by working one day extra a week but Sundays will also probably be available if I want to work myself to the bone. By working 16 hours OT I might be making ¾ of what I make for a normal paycheck. I’ll have to see how my stamina holds before I go crazy working 7 days a week.

My fantasy teams eeked out two victories this week. I’m now 9-1 in the league I really want to win. My only loss was my first week and I only lost by a point and a half or less. Behind Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson I usually win by 10 points or more. Usually more. My friend that I played had a record of 2-6 going in. He scored more points this week by far than anybody else except for me. The poor bastard. He got a loss.

I the other league I’m now 6-3. By normal football rules I would be in second place because I beat the second place guy. Because fantasy football works on record first and then points scored I’m in third. The second place guy has scored more points than me. I totally eeked out a win there. I beat my opponent by .52 points. That’s about as close as you can get. I think just getting a catch in that league gets you.5 points. Whew! Good fortune was with me though in more ways. We were the two lowest scoring teams this past week by a large margin. I score 127. something. Most other teams scored over 180 points! I beat the only score I could. I’ll take it.

My sleep is kind of messed up right now. Two days of first shift and now I’m on second. I try to sneak in a small nap of about 20 to 30 minutes before work. I can’t help but wake up around 7am every morning. So I’m a little sluggish until I get to work. It’s hotter than hell there and I have to run around and be attentive because everything is so new. I expect to be wearing shorts to work in the middle of January. Once I hit third again I think things will calm down and I can get back to regular time periods for sleeping. Getting up for about 5 hours, napping and then working 8 hours kind of sucks right now. I’m also not a big fan of my 30 minute lunch happening 3 hours after I get to work. I much prefer my 10 minute break first and then lunch later on in the day. Between the heat and somewhat running around I expect to shed a few pounds at the new job. That should be a decent thing though. And I’ll be drinking a lot more water now at work because I get so damn thirsty! Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home