Thursday, August 30, 2007

Surviving tough times at work

Blog 083007


It seems I’ve avoided yet another lay-off at Top Flite. Lay-off’s hit my current room in the form of 3 people from 1st, 6 people from 2nd and 3 people from 3rd shift. We’ve heard rumors about it for around 10 days now and it’s really gotten me down over those days as I’m just sick and tired of job security. Some people apparently will take the lay-off so even if people from other shifts bump juniors on my shift there should be enough people between me and that cut for me to keep my job. So I’m not on pins and needles as much. There are a couple of people I like on my shift in jeopardy of being bumped though so that sucks. 2 of the three people getting laid off on my shift I don’t hang out with so while I’m not happy that they are gone it doesn’t bother me as much.

I won a $75 gift card from work the other day. It’s one of those sort of Visa debit cards so that was good news. If my parents won’t take it as a random gift for no other reason than being good parents to me than I’ll be spending it on Christmas gifts. The company also has a safety deal where if you don’t get hurt per quarter you get a small payout. The end of September should mark the $75 pay out so I’ll keep that one for myself.

My co-worker got really pissed with me the other night. We’re usually pretty good friends while at work and get along quite well but occasionally things hit the fan. I was just rather shocked over why she was mad at me. We were discussing another person that apparently has a somewhat bad and at least very unstable life at this time. We both know and like this person. I was saying that this person has the power of choice and can choose to change their situation but doesn’t see it as a big enough priority to change the situation. My friend feels that the same person has no good role-models or support to change if I understand my co-worker’s argument correctly. And she really got on me about it even starting to attack me personally over the statement I was making. Eventually I got to the point to where I was getting quite mad and said about the person we were talking about that by my co-worker’s thought process there is no hope for the person and that the person should just put a gun to their head and end the misery. I’m pretty big on personal responsibility and if people are going to fuck around and goof off and constantly put themselves in the situation where they are going to have problems and issues then that’s what they are going to get until they decide to do otherwise. I never said it would be easy to change or that there is some magic pill to cure things overnight but I was accused of this line thinking despite never saying a thing towards it.

I finally just said “I’m done with this argument’” after taking a pounding and personal attack that I didn’t feel was justified. For whatever reason my co-worker wouldn’t stop. She just kept attacking every single decision or statement I made for the next hour or two. As usual, because I’ve had a terrific childhood, don’t do drugs and don’t hang around people that take advantage of me my words carry no weight on such matters. It got to the point where I almost said to her face to face, “fuck off, you bitch,” because I had stopped and she hadn’t.

Later on things calmed down and it was one of those deals were it wasn’t spoken about for the rest of night and the subject was changed. It still gets me kind of pissed off and some references were vaguely made to it the next night but it’s pretty much over.

It’s the last week of regular season playing in my fantasy baseball league and I’m currently in the final play-off spot with a 7 game lead over the 7th place guy. My team is going belly up this week. So far, with a few days left to play, I’m losing 2-10 and the 7th place guy is winning 7-5. I have 0 ‘saves’ despite 4 closers on my team who picked up 4 saves in one day alone last week. Worse, my opponent’s pitchers have thrown 2 complete game shut-out’s this week. I expect to lose all but 2 pitching categories this week which is very bad since my pitching is the strength of my team. I will be highly pissed if my team misses the play-off’s. My team started the season by losing something like 6 straight weeks and usually getting trounced in those weeks. I was able to make enough roster changes to get my team up into a play-off spot and now I might lose it in the final week.

This Sunday I have two fantasy football drafts. I’ll be in three leagues this year. One ‘pick ‘em’ league and two normal style leagues. I’ll be drafting live this year barring some sort of issue so I should get respectable teams unlike last year. I do a much better job drafting in football than the computer does.

I saw some friends last Sunday that I hadn’t seen for a few months. I ended up gaming with them for 9 hours on Sunday!!!!! One game of Risk took 5 freaking hours to finish. It should have been over well over an hour before that mark but I couldn’t roll for shit. I won a couple of key battles so I was able to control South America, North America, and Africa for parts to most of the game. Unfortunately, every time I would attack I would lose waaaaay more armies than I would kill. I keep track a couple of times and my assaults would cost me something like 10 of my armies to every three of theirs. So despite me having usually twice as many armies as the defender, I would have to either retreat or I would lose whatever I had left the next turn. My two friends fully agreed with this assessment.

We then played Risk 2202 AD or something like that. I wasn’t really up for learning a new game that day but I went along with it anyway. They game is pretty cool but I knew I lost the game after my first turn and unfortunately I went first. So I was going first in a detailed strategy game that I had no experience in and hadn’t seen played before and the guy teaching the game wasn’t all that forth coming with what to do for strategies and such. So I almost lost my entire army across the world because of one card which really rather sucked. I was the only person completely eliminated from the game. It wasn’t lost on me that the guy teaching us said once or twice that he had never lost at this game. At least he did. LOL! But the three of us rookies all made mistakes because of lack of experience and we were all griping about it. Still, over all it was fun and I would play the game again.

I started drawing issue 3 of The Minutemen. I’ve got panel layout’s for over 12 pages of the book. I was trying something new in plotting the book in that I plotted the solely from panel lay-outs and nothing more. We shall see how it turns out.

I submitted The Necropolis Chronicles on-line to a publisher this past Monday but have received no answer yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home