Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Multiple things of good news

My buddy Jason Embury who is the inker on issue two of The Necropolis Chronicles just got hired by Image comics to be the colorist on Shadowhawk. This is sweet news for Jason. Shadowhawk is the creation of one of the founders of image, Jim Valentino. I have to admit I'm quite envious of Jason at this time. :) Go, Jason!

Contacted one of my favorite comics writers to see what their page rate is. While I didn't think I had a chance in hell of hiring the person the possibility is there. The person has an exclusive contract until the end of the year and said to contact them then if I was still interested. They also said they have a 'sliding scale' meaning that they charge a little less for smaller indpendent guys. So this is fairly cool news in my opinion.

My fantasy baseball team won it's first game/match-up. In fact, score wise, I sorta slammed the other guy pretty good. The way it works is that you face off your opponent in 10 categories for the week. Some of these categories are home runs, wins, strike outs, etc. Your players amass stats for the week and when the week is over, whoever has the most combined points in a category wins that category. So while at one point I was down 7 to 1, my guys posted enough stats to eventually win 9 categories. While this is a drubbing, I barely beat the guy in most categories. So my team currnetly resides in first place with a 9 win, 1 lose record. Only something like 24 more weeks of compiling stats in bulks of 10. It's quite stressful fretting who to play and who to bench. But it is usually fun stress. It's much more involved than fantasy football which only really requires my atention about 3 times a week tops. Baseball is almost every day.

This Friday - April 14, I should get 100 copies of my comic The Necropolis Chronicles Book One. Book One is really issues 1 & 2 combined. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons rather than selling two seperate issues. the main focus is that comic sales drop usually by almost 50% after issue 1. I also wanted to have 2 full issues in the can ready to go. I really hate promising things and then not being able to deliever. That's why, for the moment, all other issues of the book have to wait. but hopefully not for too long because...

Good news #4:

Wednesday I go to get hired as a full time employee for Top Flite!!! It's taken them a month and a half over how long they said it would take to hire me but I'm really excited. It's a fairly big step up in pay for me. And because we work mandatory 48 hours every other week, that'll make the paychecks even fatter. It does mean I miss every other weekend because I'm working but for now, the sacrifice is definately worth it. Along with a decent employer comes benefits and a 401k plan. It'll be nice to have health coverage again. And while I have a Roth IRA, having a company drop in like 6% to my weekly deductions will help. And it's free money from the company.

So there you have, terrific news over the past fews days.

As always, I have some gripes but they are hugely overshadowed by the good. But I am getting sick of my sister calling for my brother (and quite frequently it seems) at 1pm in the afternoon. He's never home because he works daily until 3:30 pm. And it's essentially my 'middle of the night' when she calls on a work day. And she has a nasty habit of calling back within 10 minutes to add to the 20 second message that she just left! Ugh!

So the other day, after she calls twice within like 8 minutes and leaves two long messages, a street cleaner goes by the house - verrrrrry slllllloooooowwwwwwlllllyyyy.

And like I said, in the middle of my 'night'. Yeesh.

Messed up sleep this week but can't recall any dreams. :(
Didn't help that all three works days I woke with little time to shower, eat and make 'breakfast' (a bowl of cereal) before hustling out the door to work.

End of line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home