Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The business of things

Got a job interview for Wednesday. I'm not sure whether to be excited or not. It would most likely be making golf balls for Top Flite. From what I know, the main drawback would be 12 hour shifts. I did those for about 10 months straight and they are a totally different life-style. Sometimes good, but sometimes really harsh. So we'll see how things go.

Yesterday (Monday) was fairly disasterous. My nephew needed a 45 minute ride to the bordering state of CT so I ended up helping him. So it turns out we get 5.7 inches of snow the previous night and into the morning of the drive. So for quite a long time I couldn't go any faster than 25 mph without jeopardizing our safety. Driving was quite treacherous and people, including myself, were slipping and sliding quite often. I had to kick him in the butt to make him call and tell them we would be late. Fortunately, we weren't that late and it didn't seem to cause much of an issue. And they thanked him for calling.

I had actually dug out my old Gameboy and played Tetris for the whole appointment so that made things go quick.

On the way back we saw a nasty looking accident. A tractor-trailer was up against the concrete barrier seperating north flowing traffic from south flowing traffic. And in-between the truck and the barrier was a car about the size of a Saturn crushed up against the barrier and facing the wrong way for the flow of traffic. The emergencies vehicles had the passengerside door open because the driver's side looked somewhat crunched underneath the truck. And the car was covered in drapes. I can't help but feel that the driver of the car was probably dead. :(

CT wasn't so bad because they only got rain instead of snow like MA got. But besides the crash I had an indicator light go on. Seems I had no engine coolant. I did some things to try to keep the engine cool and the indicator light went on and off several times. I drove for awhile because we were still 30 minutes from home but my car started acting pretty weird and steaming so I finally pulled over at a McDonald's. So nut job was plowing the snow at 1 pm in the afternoon and then yelling at customers parked in parking lot that were in his way. He was also blasting around at a high rate of speed. Plainly put, the guy was a total asshole and people in the parking lot agreed on this.

So I get a shitty McDonald's lunch to give the engine time to cool and make phone calls looking for help. So of course, my brother and father are both gone and who knows when they'll be back. But I lucked out with with Tony one of the comic store owners. He bought some engine coolant (pre-mixed) and came to my rescue. Phew! It's good to have reliable friends. My radiator must have been bone dry because it sucked up a full gallon of coolant. I took the car to a garage immediately after dropping off my nephew and as of now, my car seems okay. All the same, I set up a appointment to have some things checked out.

So I get over that whole disaster to find that my dad (wants more than needs) $65 for a title tranfer. I know my dad, he gets all anxious and super nervous about getting around despite the fact that one older brother is at home with no job and I have no job and they have no real appointments or anything. So I made sure to get the cahs and drive it right up.

Somewhere along the line I opened up my phone bill. $84 fucking dollars! Seems I somehow missed the 2 prior months of billing - about $25+ each. I think it was most likely my own fault. I have a local carrier and a long distance carrier. I checked my checkbook log and found no bills sent to Verizon. So I have the feeling I probably tossed the bills without opening them under the misrepresentation that I was receiving spam mail from them. So like I said, that's my own fault. It just sucked that all of this stuff happened in one day.

The comic store drama is still unsolved as of this writing. I did volunteer my time to run the place on Sunday because everyone else wanted time off to watch the football games. The store has a TV and the Patriots were eliminated from the play-off's so I saw the games and didn't miss much. The few customers seemed to like the help I gave them as I helped them search for comics and through the 5 million $.50 boxes.

The religous nut sent out a blanket letter to a ton of people - I think around 37 - announcing his resignation. Init he says he didn't want to hash things out in the letter and then proceeded with 3 paragraphs of how and why he quit. Of course, he didn't mention that he was doing totally illegal things as an officer of the store in trying to open a direct competitor and actually steal customers form the current store. And he sort of made it sound like the other guys were all at fault. And yet, he still runs around denying anything that would make him look human or possibly bad even when confronted with clear as day evidence of his actions. The guy's pretty fucked in the head at times.

So I think that's about it for now.

The end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home