Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Not good times

Blog 051507

I walked out of work yesterday.

I refuse to admit it, but I hate my job.

I work on machines that put personalized logos on a golf ball using a stamper and ink. The problem is, the machines don’t always hold registration so the logos sometimes look like a shitty printed newspaper photo where it’s all wonky and out of alignment. Certain inks print like shit on balls so that gaps of no ink appear on the ball where image is supposed to be. And some jobs just run like shit. And part of it is my inability to run the machine the way I want it to be – perfect.

Last night was a disaster. I had a job fully set-up for me and ready to run. When I produced some balls for inspection the people complained about ‘peeling’ spots where there is no ink. So I tore down the job and pretty much started from scratch after I couldn’t get rid of the missing spots after a lot of adjustments taking up a lot of time. Then I noticed it. The missing spots of ink were SUPPOSED to be there. It was part of a tree design giving the tree texture. What a total waste of time. Then my cup that holds the ink went bad. Ink was leaking out of it and it dried making peeling happen for real. So for a job that should have been done in about 40 minutes tops, I took about 90 minutes.

The second job I did I never finished. That’s the one I walked out on and went home. I think the real problem was that the ink I was given was to thin. That makes the image smear on the ball. I did everything I knew how to try and fix things but the image came out fucked up one way or another. It didn’t help that the image was so big that the pads we used could barely fit the logo. I didn’t realize it but we had two people call out making the guy that helps people really run his ass off. This guy is a really good guy and tried to help me where he could but he just didn’t have the time because of other job responsibilities. He eventually told me to pull the job and start another one. So in 2 and a half hours, I produced 42 dozen stamped balls. According to the sheet we go by I’m suppose to have about 124 in the same amount of time.

I was so frustrated I was almost crying at my machine. Yup, crying. Crying with rage in that I wanted to lash out and destroy the machine before me. Lash out and rip a new asshole to anybody that talked to me. I was physically shaking with anger and frustration. My voice was wavering and I couldn’t form sentences forgetting words in my anger. I also began to feel sick. My stomach was in a knot and my chest felt all tight. Worse, I’ve felt like this before because of this stamping job. I’m too critical and too much of a perfectionist for this stamping job that allows crap product or at least sub-standard quality go through in my opinion. If need be, I’m allowed to produce junk. I won’t have it. So I told my supervisor I was going home and did. He’s a really cool guy and didn’t give me any shit. He knows I have a lot of trouble with the job. He also knows I work like hell when I’m at work and I haven’t missed a day yet that wasn’t excused. Tonight, I’m thinking about calling out.

I’ve been thinking about work all day. The only plus is that I’ve produced some good artwork by trying to vent my frustrations out on my drawing board. So some of the panels that I’ve drawn and inked for issue 3 look pretty darn good. But I’m still muttering to myself constantly and I’m already in a slight rage. I signed up to work over time today knowing that I’ll be late to work on Thursday because of seeing a visiting friend that shows up only once or twice a year. I’m already blowing half of that time off. We aren’t listed for how many hours we agreed to so I can drop it from 4 to 2 hours. And it’s packing so it’s a lot less stressful for me. But my stomach is still a bit miserable from last night. I also slept from 4am to 8am solid and then off and on til 10:30am or 11. And I haven’t been able to fall back asleep which is pissing me off.

So right now, I’m not in a good place emotionally. Combined with the crush looking totally awesome with a new haircut with colored highlights and sitting right in front of me so I can stare at her all night while I don’t seem to rate on her radar as much as even a friend means I really dislike work right now.

I’ll be bidding on jobs again whenever I decide to go back to work. That doesn’t seem to help though since I lost every bid so far which has been on over 11 jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home