Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Good weekend

Blog 032607


ConnCon was lots of fun. I’m quite glad I went. I was a little fuzzy in the head on Friday morning after getting out of work. It was a pain in the ass night because there were too many hands in the cookie jar. 4 people were trying to determine what jobs went to what stamp press and nobody was communicating so when I went to fill the orders of the jobs, many had been moved to new presses without me know. It caused much confusion and one job got lost. Nobody could find it. I think I’m getting the blame for it which really sucks. I know of at least 4 separate jobs that got switched from press to press with little communication to me so I looked like an ass when I went to fill the open slots with more stock and it was the wrong stock. I can’t really say it felt like a bad night, just a headless chicken night. I was glad to get out of there though.

The trip down to Stamford was easy. My buddy drove my car and he showed me a way that cuts off like 15 minutes of highway driving. That was cool because it’s like a 2 and ½ drive at 70mph or more the way I go. The Merrit Parkway is also more scenic than I-91 & I-95.

I was a little apprehensive because I wasn’t able to pre-register. Mostly it was my own fault. Luckily I got there early enough to play every game but one that I had hoped to play.

We all then totally geeked to playing games, mostly Dungeons and Dragons, for 3 days straight. Of course, I also had to put up with 500 pound men farting near me (good GOD!), body order from geeks, and another 500 pound man blowing chunks in the men’s room as I took a marathon long piss. I also bought two boxes of Girl Scout cookies too!

The gaming was fun and I enjoyed playing my three characters overall. The Red Cowl, my wizard is the most powerful of my characters. I enjoyed whipping out sculpted maximized lightning bolts and fireballs dealing 60 points of damage per hit. That’s geek speak for the ignorant.

I saw a number of old con friends that I hadn’t seen in some time. They are ‘con’ friends because I only get to see them at cons. There was a hot Russian girl there this year that I hadn’t seen before. She felt sorry for one of my characters. That character had been magically diseased by a powerful necromancer. My character’s magical illness progress from pock marks in the shape of small hands to being extremely vulnerable to heat and flame. It then progressed to the pock marks oozing green puss and having an aura of scent of decaying flesh that could make people sick. Finally, her eyes turned sickly yellow and she couldn’t stand any kind of bright lights. She actually advanced to the final stage before dying which was her joints stiffening but I used my ‘reset button’ that I had. So my character is back to ‘stage 1’ which is the pock marks only. She could suffer all the stages again until she is removed from the campaign. Oy.

I went and paid to have my taxes filed on Monday after the con. I got there just as the secretary’s grandson was brought to the office by her husband. She was in a hurry to get rid of me to hang out with her grandson. Pretty much, he got more attention then me and I was quickly handed my file and roundly ignored after that. But I got a good laugh. She asked her grandson in a grandiose voice ‘did you come to see grandma?’ and the little 4 or 5 year old replied with a long ‘no.’ Her voice quickly sounded almost miffed and she told him ‘don’t be fresh’. I left after that.

Soon after the taxes I headed to work for my job interview. It’s an art room job that’s non-union. It lasted about 30 or 40 minutes. I think I did okay but I was honest and admitted I had some weaknesses or at least lack of experience in some areas of what they do for the customer. But they also either know me or have the ability to check deeply into my work habits since I’ve been working there for over a year.

After the job interview I snapped off some pictures of me in my shirt and tie since I don’t often dress up.

After a nap I went to work. The night was okay. I was training the guy that won the bid to do the do I’m currently doing. I’m just a fill-in guy so even though I like the job, it was never really mine to keep. He seems like he can handle it. Strangely, his mouth is in a perpetual frown but he seems like a normal guy and not a jerk.

Got home from work and immediately headed for the car shop I frequent to get new tires for my car. I really needed them. Part of my tax refund will pay the bill.

I got home and the weather was awesome: clear and warm. I went to check on my raspberry bushes that didn’t seem to be in good shape. I walked into my house and started bellowing out a song. I didn’t even realize that while I was walking behind my house that my brother had come home from his doctor’s visit. When he opened the door to the bathroom I was suitably taken by surprise. I shouldn’t have been, I walked past his car that had not been there literally five minutes ago.

My fantasy baseball league draft started as I was driving home from ConnCon. Unlike football, I’m not as good with the players so I had no problem with the computer drafting my team. It looks like a balanced team overall with more offensive power than pitching. Unlike this last year, this year we used players from both the NL and AL. So that means teams look like All-Star teams. While I prefer just players from one league, we had 5 or more new players to the league that don’t know baseball all that well. The winners will most likely be the teams that have the most MLB players that career years. Still, it should be fun. Last year I finished in second losing in our league’s World Series.

I had a weird dream this afternoon. I kept waking up because the local Air Force base had planes practicing landings so I literally had the biggest planes in the military flying very low over my house as I tried to sleep which sucked. My dream had me with some laid off co-workers along the trail that leads to the back field of my parent’s land. For some reason, one co-worker and I started wrestling or fighting. I got him in a headlock and slipped my arm more around his throat to choke him out. I either wanted to choke him into unconsciousness or actually tried to kill him! Yow! I can’t recall killing him but the cops were after me and I was on the run. Mostly I was on foot huffing around my old hometown but it wasn’t the same. I was running through backyards, made it close to the local mall and eventually made my way to a roller skating rink (that doesn’t exist in real life). I was on TV and fliers already. I could hear sirens in the distance. I decided it was time to leave before they arrived. I walked right past two advancing cop cars but another cop from somewhere started chasing me on foot. I was fleeing through suburban areas of houses with big back yards and lots of trees.

I can’t recall the rest of the dream. I don’t recall if I was caught but I know the cop was in the area I was and feverishly searching for me. And I recall mulling over turning myself in or fleeing to another state in the mid-west.

So I’m very happy I went to Conncon and that resulted in a good weekend. My job situation is still ever changing with me still bidding on numerous jobs including non-union jobs. I think the art room job is less paying than any job at Top Flite so I may not take it if offered the position. So things are pretty much the usual. LOL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home