Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New free time and new hobbies

Blog 012307


Whew! Just got the mail out in time to be grabbed by the mail man. I sent out 6 bills I think. I walked back into my house and within five minutes the mail truck arrived and took ‘em away. I’m quite happy with myself in that I paid and extra $200 on the principal of my house loan this month.

I made my first painting yesterday. I kind of sucks. The colors look really neat, but you really can’t tell what the hell it is. LOL! It’s suppose to be a painting of my computer background which is a seascape with rocky outcroppings. It’s a really nice shade of blue for the water and sky. I find the background very eye pleasing.

Rather bummed the Patriots lost to the Colts this past Sunday. I noticed on a couple of comic forums I go to that people enjoyed ‘piling on’ on the Patriots. The ones that posted were quite happy to see the Patriots lose and usually resorted to name calling and such. They also called the Patriots poor sports and had no class and all sorts of other stuff. It just felt like a bunch of trolls coming out from under their rocks. At least the game was good and exciting and might be better overall than the Super Bowl.

I’m not sure who I want to win the Super Bowl. I guess I don’t really care. I don’t hate either the Colts or the Bears. I guess I’m leaning more towards the Bears just to shut up Colts fans.

I bought $20 of paint brushes today. I have some lame brushes and that might be part of the problem with my first painting. Painting at this point is a lot harder than I thought. And I want to paint traditionally. Maybe some other day I’ll do digital painting on my computer. But there’s a certain romance to sloshing paint on a canvas. I’m using ‘canvas’ paper. It’s a thick paper almost like cardboard with a fairly rough surface.

Forgot to mention that I apologized to my friend at work the other day. Things are good between us and back to normal. I guess at some point he mentioned what I said to our supervisor. I was rather surprised by this. I guess he ‘told’ on me but I’m not sure. The supervisor never said anything to me about it. I guess I had hurt my buddy’s feelings pretty bad. I have learned to be a little more careful about what I say. I need this reminder every so often as my dry whit comes off really serious and ends up insulting people rather than being funny. It’s a life lesson I need to keep working on.

I’m 365 pages into my 600+ page Anita Blake novel. It’s good enough to keep me reading but I can’t say I love it. Being a later book in the series, it does seem to be a story revolving around sex rather than a story using sex to help tell the story. However, I do enjoy a lot about the setting and I like most of the characters. If I had to assign a grade to the book I’d probably give it a ‘B-‘ for now. I have noticed that it does seem to be a lot of little stories wrapped into one big story. After 365 pages I can’t really tell if there is a main villain. There are a lot of foils and villainous type characters but no one I’ve been able to point to and say ‘here’s the main bad guy’. I guess that’s why it feels like a bunch of short stories linked together to make a big novel.

All of a sudden, a lot of my spare time seems to have just opened up. The football season is over except for one remaining game. This means that I won’t be watching upwards of 12 hours of football on Sundays. Fantasy football is done so I won’t be running to my computer for updates on my teams.

The family that I play Magic the Gathering with on Monday nights that I have off switched Magic night on me. It’s still Mondays but now it falls on Mondays nights which I work. So that seems to be a new free night for me until that changes. In a way I don’t mind. I was having fun and do have fun usually playing Magic. I did get sort of upset over a ruling though. I had learned as a fundamental rule back in the day that a creature going to the graveyard cannot be used for anything else. According to my friends, that has changed. So essentially, you can double and maybe even triple dip with a creature. So essentially in game mechanics as I’m told by my friends, my creature attacks and his creature blocks. His creature might have an ability to also tap to do something which is fine. Our creatures deal lethal damage to each other. Both creatures are not saved in any way and are ‘going to the graveyard’. At that use to be it, nothing more can be done with the creatures. Now, apparently, you can still do stuff with the creatures. After having the complete opposite ingrained in my head for over 8 years which included tournament play I find this to be a shock. It’s what really drives me away from collectible games. The rules are ever changing which leads to confusion, fights, and can really put players that are fringe players or don’t have the latest cards at a severe disadvantage. In the end, it makes the game unejoyable. Constant rules changing that makes many of the purchased game products obsolete have helped to drive me away from virtually all collectible card games, tabletop games, and even role-playing games. I play games for fun and relaxation, not to argue about or be forced to track down the latest rules changes.

So right now, life is fairly calm and stable and the outlook for continued success look promising. So life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home