Monday, September 15, 2008

random ramblings

Blog 091508

Things in general and most likely randomly stated.

After I arrived at Bradley International Airport on my trip home I found my car battery dead. Some phone calls home and an attempted jumped from a passer-by later didn’t help. Through my brother’s advice I found the garage’s office and they gave me a jump. I made it home but the next day my battery was just as dead. They I noticed my tire was almost flat. Oy. So I spent about half my day trying and failing to get my battery out. I stripped the bolt head! My father gave me a lift and I ended up getting a new battery and my tire fixed. It all cost me $100 and took about 2 hours.

I arrived at work that night to learn I had won the bid for a job in a new department. The union rep I work with was a real ass about the whole thing. She was giving me shit the whole time and was really negative about the whole thing. When another co-worker left early because he was sick of her bullshit about leaving to chat with friends she got REAL pissy. Her sights turned on him after he was gone and she bitched the rest of the night. Strangely, she had to work the rest of the night instead of wandering. Maybe a coincidence? She even claimed that she did 2/3rds of his job for him. HUH?! I almost laughed in her face. Another friend of mine won a bid to leave the department and she got all pissy with him too. She was going to file a grievance with the union against him getting the job because she wanted her friend to get it. Nice. And she still never misses a chance to take a shot at the boyfriend that dumped her over a year ago. I don’t think she’s had a boyfriend since. Newest rumor is the union is talking about removing her as a rep. It would be a good move I think.

Fantasy baseball has been good to me. I won the wild card play-off and followed that up by beating the overall 2nd place team the next week. It took a lot of player movement though so my team took a whole new look for players. Now I’m just starting our ‘World Series’ which is two weeks long. It’s a re-match of sorts. The guy I’m playing beat me in the round to see who goes to the World Series. He ended up winning the whole thing. I finished 3rd. This year, I’m guaranteed to finish at least 2nd. So in the 3 years of this league’s existence I will have finished 2nd, 3rd, 2nd or 1st. Not a bad run considering 10 teams played and this year 12.

Fantays football has been tougher. I’m probably going to lose both games this week. I happened to face the biggests scorers this week. Jay Cutler threw 350 yards and 4 TDs against me in one league. In my other league I ran into two receivers that combined for 5 TDs and over 250 yards. Ouch. And I had some good scores myself. Just unlucky timing is all.

My new job in my new department is challenging. I always make the first few weeks challenging for myself. I try to be perfect and I end up being a perfect disaster. This sort of happened on my first over-time day. I made a lot of mistakes and felt really dumb. I was very happy to get out of work that day. Today I had more problems and possibly created a lot of scrap golf balls but it was still a better day as it felt like I was doing okay overall. The new job is fairly important overall for me. It is a pay raise of about a dollar. More importantly I’m back to being ‘skilled’ labor. Once I go to third the shift differential should make it a $2+ raise. This means that a 30 year employee cannot bump me from my job is their job is eliminated. Also, the department seems to be expanding a bit and it feels secure. So while I’m having a tough go of it at the start the benefits should more than pay-off in the end for me. The job itself is a bit boring but I like the people I’ve met so that’s terrific.

I’ve been playing Rockband with my nephew a lot this past week. We’ve been teaming up for about 40 or more minutes a night and we’ve been having a lot of fun. Because my living room gets so hot we end up being sweaty pigs by the time we are done playing the game. I was surprised that my brother joined in on a few songs. Not sure if this’ll be a regular thing but he did seem to have fun which is what it is all about.

I went to the local fair called The Big E this past weekend. It was last minute so I brought $50 with me. Parking was $10 (unexpected) and the entrance fee was $15. Oof. With food usually $3.50 to $6 my money didn’t last long. I wish I had had another $20 with me. I didn’t buy as much as I wanted to as I waited what I wanted more. I still had a decent time. With showers coming and going the fair was slow which made it easier to get around. The fair attracts over 1 million people over it’s three weeks and is like the 5th largest fair of it’s kind in the U.S. They even get some decent big names in music to play like American Idol people and 2nd tier groups like Heart and such. On a strange note, Mickey Dolenz was there the day I was there. He was the drummer for the Monkees, a sixties group. It’s weird because he was also at DragonCon.

I had a neat dream or two this past morning but I can barely remember them. It had to do with magic like Merlin and witches. I could do some or something like that. There was a house where people would go to the basement and step into a wall and teleport to a new destination. I got into some trouble or was worried I wouldn’t be able to do it. I was able to do it a couple of times though. I remember the wall seemed to be really thick as I moved through it. It was like 20 feet thick. I was tempted or maybe even stuck my tongue out to lick the wall for whatever reason. I know I was dressed weird. I think part of this is because I often try to think of Jaina stories as I drift off to sleep. Some woman was giving me crap like she was a guidance counselor. This I think was after I teleported with difficulty to a new place. I think it was like a museum or court hall or something. I remember the floors as dark polished cement or stone like in a great hall. She was giving me static searching me for the real answer I was having trouble teleporting. It was a personal reason that I didn’t want to reveal. Again the teleporting was very like in Harry Potter. I would literally walking INTO the wall or a doorway and appear some where else. When walking through the wall though I could feel it like walking through water in a pool and there seemed to be a breeze in my hair. It was really quite cool. It’s too bad I had to get up and go to work because I wish I could’ve written the dream down.

I’m having trouble concentrating on this since my brother put on the great 50’s terrible movie Kronos. It’s about mind controlling alien force that takes over scientists and sends down a big square robot that gobbles up Earth’s electricity and sends it to the space ship in space. It’s god awful horrible fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks for leaving out your own shit this time. ;-)

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home